Our Community Press

Our Community Press, formerly known as the Lewisville Times, is a free publication for the local residents of Clemmons, Lewisville and Pfafftown featuring community events and articles of interest. For more information, and to download the latest issue, visit OurCommunityPress.com.

Historic Pfafftown

Between 1981 and 2006, 33 properties within the Pfafftown community were survey by the NC State Historic Preservation Office.Years ago, just after the turn of the century the heart of Pfafftown centered around the intersection of Transou Road and Yadkinville Road was analyzed as a prospective “Pfafftown Historical District”. Unfortunately, due to resource alteration, loss and new construction the area has been deeply impacted, affecting its viability.However, two houses that were surveyed have been designated in the National Register of Historic Places as Local Historic Landmarks: The John Jacob Schaub House and the John Henry Pfaff House. Three properties have been listed in the NC Study List for the National Register (Pfafftown United Church of Christ, Pfafftown Christian Church, and Jeremiah Bahnson Conrad House at 2650 Spicewood Drive.

In 1992 five other properties, including the Claude Transou House (below left and right) were deemed eligible for the National Register.

Below is a list of the properties surveyed, four of which have been demolished. You can read the result of each survey by following the links.

For information on preserving the Pfafftown community:

North Carolina State Historic Preservation Office

Forsyth County Historic Resources Commission (HRC)

John Jacob Schaub HouseJohn Jacob Schaub House

Click here to look inside.

John Henry Pfaff HouseJohn Henry Pfaff House
Claude Transou House Claude Transou House

Historic Designations:

Local Historic Landmarks (LHL)

National Register Properties (NR)

North Carolina National Register Study List Properties (SL)

Determination of Eligibility for the National Register (DOE)

Listed on the National Register of Historic Places and designated as a Local Historic Landmark:

John Jacob Schaub House, 5622 Balsom Road, ca.1830 – FY00185, NR# 844, Local# 89

Designated a Local Historic Landmark and had a DOE:

John Henry Pfaff House, 4798 Pfaff Lane, ca. 1900 – FY00666, DOE: ER 1992, Local #103 *

Listed on the North Carolina Study List for the National Register and has a DOE:

Pfafftown United Church of Christ, 3410 Community Church Road, ca. 1910s, 1950s, 198 FY00638, SL: 1982

Pfafftown Christian Church, 3295 Transou Road, ca. 1917, 1939, 1947, 1954, 1973, 1990s FY00630, SL: 1982, DOE: ER 1992 *

Jeremiah Bahnson Conrad House, 2650 Spicewood Drive, ca. 1870-1873 FY00639, SL: 1982, DOE: ER 1992

Recommended for the North Carolina Study List for the National Register and had a DOE:

Claude Transou House, 3500 Transou Road, ca. 1903-04 – FY00628, DOE: ER 1992 *

Properties that were Determined Eligible for the National Register:

Will Wilson House, 3471 Transou Road, ca. 1897 – FY02138, DOE: ER 1992 *

Eugene Romulous Pfaff House, 4796 Pfaff Lane, ca. 1870s – FY00636, DOE: ER 1992 *

Alexander Transou House, 3334 Transou Road, ca. 1848 – FY00629, DOE: ER 1992 *

Evan Transou House, 3255 Transou Road, ca. 1860 – FY00634, DOE: ER 1992 *

Julius A. Transou Log House, 3231 Transou Road, ca. 1856 – FY00635, DOE; ER 1992 *

Surveyed

Jessie Thomas Conrad House, 2271 Chipwood Lane, ca. 1870s – FY00640

House, 5025 Skylark Road, ca. 1937 – FY03221

House, 2216 Olivet Church Road, ca. 1934 – FY03223

George F. Wilson House, 3368 Transou Road – FY02137*

Albert Pfaff House, 4680 Pinehill Drive, – FY02133

Schultz-Roberts House, 4250 Shattalon Drive, ca. 1850 – FY00645

Olivet Moravian Church, 2205 Olivet Church Road, ca. 1980, 1989 – FY00641

Frederick Leonard Ziglar House, 2222 Olivet Church Road, ca. 1894, 1904 – FY00672

Sandy Boose House, 2465 Hilltop Drive, ca. 1820-1840 – FY00674

Henry Long House, 4510 Balsom Road, ca. 1870s – FY00626

Pfafftown Christian Cemetery, Yadkinville Road, ca. 1860 – FY00637

House, 3341 Transou Road, ca. 1910 – FY03219 *

Wade Yarborough House, 4350 Shattalon Drive, ca. 1890s – FY00643

Julius Whitman House, 4725 Balsom Road, ca. 1850-1880 – FY00624

Monroe Conrad House, 2273 Olivet Church Road, ca. 1891 – FY00642

Kearney Houses, 5025 Balsom Road, ca. 1894, 1914, 1924; ca. 1860-1880 – FY00623

Ziglar House, 2251 Olivet Church Road, ca. 1860-1880 – FY00673

James W. Franklin House, 5338 Skylark Road, ca. 1910 – FY02129

Properties that were surveyed in for the 1981 architectural inventory survey but were found to be gone in the survey update completed in 2009:

House, 5084 Skylark Drive, ca. 1860-1880 – FY00627

Wilson Brothers Labor Exchange Building, Transou Road, ca. 1890-1910 – FY00632

Rueben Holder House, Transou Road, ca. 1880-1900 – FY00633

Holder-Flynt House and Barn, Transou Road, ca. 1860-1880 – FY00631 *

* These properties were within the Pfafftown Historic District proposed in the Winston-Salem Northern Beltway Report (Western Section) by Langdon Oppermann in Oct 1991.

 

 

Share on FacebookShare on StumbleUponTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Digg thisPin on PinterestShare on RedditEmail this to someone